See Also: Training Overview and Application
Frequently Asked Questions
(Download the BACE 2017 FAQs)
Why choose the BACE Childbirth Educator Training Program?
• BACE has been training childbirth educators for over 60 years and our educators have an excellent reputation. Our program will provide you with the knowledge, skills and confidence you need to teach effectively and support childbearing families. We offer considerably more workshop hours than other programs and each student will have a mentor to support and coach them through certification. A correspondence course cannot provide you with a local support network.
How do I apply and what is the deadline?
• After reading the program description and FAQ’s, download the application.
• Mail your completed application, along with the $55 application fee to: BACE, 69 Court St., Newton, MA 02458. Please have your recommendations sent separately to the same address. The application and recommendations can also be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Email us if you’d like to submit your payment electronically.
When will I hear about my application?
• Once we receive your personal application, your interview will be scheduled promptly. We will need your recommendations before acceptance can be granted, so please have them sent as soon as possible.
What is the cost of the program and when are payments due?
• The non-refundable application fee is $55, and includes a one year BACE membership.
• Tuition for the course is $1500, which is due upon acceptance. Installment plans can be requested.
• There is an additional fee of $250 due when the student is ready to teach the trial series.
Consider the cost in terms of the total hours of instruction and personal interaction you will have with the training team, and your potential earnings as a childbirth educator. This is an investment in your future!
How long is the program?
• The training program takes about 3 months, but it may take a trainee about 6-8 months to complete the coursework and additional requirements for certification. Although this may seem like a long time, we firmly believe that this information cannot be taught in a self-study format, weekend seminar or intensive program. The course, including the start of the trial series, must be completed within 24 months of enrollment.
Where are the classes held?
• In the Newton, MA area. Exact location will be announced soon.
What if I need to miss a training session?
• You will be responsible for immediately contacting the training director to schedule a private make-up class, for which there will be a fee.
Do you offer financial aid?
• At this time we can offer only limited financial aid. Please contact us if you are interested. Payment plans are available for those who cannot pay the entire amount of tuition at one time.
What is the refund policy?
• The application fee is non-refundable. Candidates requesting a refund before the start of the course will receive the tuition paid less a $200 fee. Prior to the fourth session, the maximum refund is $750 if tuition has been paid in full. There will be no refunds after that date, however candidates may defer completion of the program for up to 18 months due to pregnancy or serious hardship.
How long has BACE been training childbirth educators?
• BACE was founded in 1953 and has been training childbirth educators for over 60 years. Our program has continued to evolve in response to the needs of the community.
How can I prepare for the training program?
• Begin working on the list of required prerequisites as soon as possible. All prerequisites should be completed before the start of the courses.
• We strongly recommend students observe other childbirth education courses prior to the start of the program.
Do I need to be a nurse or have other specific qualifications in order to apply?
• No. You do not need to be a nurse to become a BACE Childbirth Educator. A high school diploma is required and a college degree is preferred. We will consider a combination of experience, education, interest and commitment.
• This course is ideal for those who already have a solid understanding of pregnancy, childbirth and newborns and want to learn how to teach a comprehensive childbirth education curriculum.
• If you are new to this field, you will need to devote extra time to the prerequisites – carefully read the required books, observe childbirth education courses and become comfortable with the information on the designated websites.
Does completing the training program guarantee that I will become certified?
* No, neither being accepted into the Childbirth Educator Training Program nor completion of the training guarantees certification as a BACE Childbirth Educator.
How long is BACE Certification good for?
• BACE Certification is good for 3 years, the cost of recertification is low and we do not require that you obtain CEU’s from us. Contact our office for a copy of the Recertification Checklist.
Does BACE hire graduates?
• BACE does not currently employ any childbirth educators and cannot guarantee that graduates will find employment. However BACE Educators are currently teaching in several area hospitals, health centers, maternity and parenting businesses and other professional locations, as well as independently.
What does the NMC in your logo stand for?
• NMC stands for Nursing Mothers’ Council, which is the breastfeeding support and education arm of the organization. While the legal name of the organization is The Boston Association for Childbirth Education, Inc., we recognize the importance of NMC by referring to ourselves as BACE-NMC. NMC has its own training program for those who would like to become volunteer Nursing Mothers’ Counselors.
How can I find out more or get help deciding if the BACE program is right for me?
Please email Kathleen Beans or call 617-244-5102.
We welcome women of all cultural and linguistic backgrounds. We will make every effort to help you locate appropriate alternative materials in your primary language, offer oral rather than written completion of portions of the training, and assist you in finding an appropriate mentor.